Thursday, September 5, 2013

Time

Hey all.

Well I just took a two month hiatus from the blog. And honestly...I didn't miss it. Not even a little bit. (Don't worry, I'm still reading all your blogs...just not posting on my own right now.) I'm not exactly sure what that means for my blog? I don't think I'm going to quit blogging altogether. But it was admittedly beginning to feel like more of another chore/item on my loooong list of "to-do's"...so I just stopped. I figure if I don't absolutely love doing something, it's maybe not worth my time right now. Because time is precious. And we never know how much we have left.

God has been speaking to me a lot lately about simplifying my life. Not overcommitting myself. Not wasting time doing things I don't thoroughly enjoy. Putting more effort into having a few really great friends rather than being spread thin and just having a bunch of surfacey friendships. Not having so much stuff in our house. Not spending my money on so many things that aren't beautiful or useful.

So that's what I've been doing the past couple months. We did a major house overhaul. Got rid of a TON of stuff. We took the Tsh Oxenreider approach and didn't keep anything that wasn't beautiful or useful. And as hard as it was...it felt REALLY GOOD. I did things like sell my wedding dress (don't worry, I tried it on and was immediately convinced I did not need to keep it). And got rid of a bunch of unnecessary kitchen gadgets (because let's be real...when we have a good kitchen knife, do we really need an avocado slicer, a pineapple slicer, a strawberry pitter, etc?). I threw out/got rid of some stuff I never thought I'd get rid of. It was very freeing. I've always been a bit of a packrat. But it's so stressful to be a packrat! You have so much to sort through to find something, so much to clean around, so much stuff taking up so much space.

I'm trying to be more intentional about living and how I spend my time. So, my friends, I will likely not be blogging much anymore. Maybe a quarterly update or so. I don't plan to delete my blog. But I just don't enjoy it enough that I want blogging to be a big deal in my life. I'd rather spend time in the moment remembering details, creating memories, and experiencing things with my little family than be stressed out about taking pictures for the blog or finding time to write a post. It's not worth it to me.

Thing 2 (our affectionate nickname for Charlotte) is up from naptime, so I better sign off. I'll try to get a few pictures/kiddo updates up before the end of September, but I can't make any promises.

And again, I'm still reading your blogs, so I'm not off the blogosphere completely. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Don't blog out of duty, but for enjoyment. I am also a pack rat and seriously need to declutter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ariane, if it's not something you enjoy, don't do it! And it always feels so good to clean things out. I did a major clean-out of our house this spring and it's nice not having so much clutter.

    ReplyDelete