Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Charlotte: 10 months!

I know this picture is blurry, but I love it anyway. She was SO excited to find big sister's big girl cup!


Clothes: Same as last time: Size 4 diapers (she could still fit in size 3 since she's a skinny little thing, but I accidentally bought size 4's at the store, so that's what we're going with!), and 9-12 month clothes. Also, size 3 shoes. She's such a hard one to dress...she's built exactly like me. She's long and skinny. Most 9 month pants are too short for her, but 12 month pants just slide right off her tiny little waist. She's in 12 month onesies and pjs...she wears a lot of dresses or onesies and leg warmers these days because that's the easiest way to dress her. Another issue is her feet. Also very long and very narrow. Again, just like her mommy. Seriously, this child could not be more my mini-me. We're basically twins. So anyway, pretty much no shoes stay on her feet because they are so narrow. So she is usually just barefoot with the exception of some robeez-type shoes from Target. Those are the only ones that will stay on right now.

Food: Nursing every 2.5 - 3 hours during the day and going about 9 hours at night now. Still won't take a bottle. Or sippy. Or any form of breast milk unless it's coming from my boob. Period. So we won't be able to leave her for an extended period until she's weaned. She eats most times we eat...so 2 or 3 times a day. She is doing so much better at eating. She gets most of what I give her in her mouth now...at least until she's full and starts playing/throwing food on the ground. She is still only eating vegetables and fruit, brown rice, beans, lentils, rice or buckwheat soba noodles...she's had a little bit of chicken. And some coconut cream. No nuts, eggs, wheat, dairy, or soy yet. I'm avoiding all allergens until she's closer to 18 months just with our family history (now that Eden and I are gluten free and mostly dairy free) and with her sensitive skin and eczema. She's not picky at all - except that she hates purees. She loves everything I give her. The only thing she's been hesitant on are raspberries, but she just needed to adjust to the fuzziness/tartness. After a little initial hesitation, she loved them. She's had strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, watermelon, peaches, banana, apples, cherries, zucchini, cucumber, red bell peppers, yams, carrots, peas, broccoli...there might be more that I'm not thinking of. She basically expects me to share everything I eat with her and whines/gives me dirty looks if I don't!


Sleep: This area has by far had the most dramatic change of everything. My Charlotte, the one who never slept and woke 3-5 times a night since birth...is now sleeping through the night!! Praise Jesus! Literally. I do a happy dance on a pretty regular basis. And she's taking usually two 1.5 to 2 hour naps a day...sometimes a third hour long nap later in the day (around 5ish) if we're having a pretty long day (if she woke up a little on the early side and we have community group or family dinner where she goes to bed later than the other nights). That third nap is the key to getting through the night when she has to go to bed late. Otherwise it would be torture. Why the dramatic change in sleep, you ask? Or how maybe? Sleep training. She was sleeping SO horrible that it came to a point where nobody in the house was sleeping. She was screaming in her crib and didn't know how to self-soothe (she doesn't use a pacifier or her thumb/fingers) and wanted to nurse to fall back asleep...but would scream again the minute I put her down. But she didn't sleep well in our bed either...she'd be too restless because she needed her own space. I was literally up 5 times or more a night with her. I was averaging 3-4 hours of sleep. Corey was exhausted. Eden was exhausted (all the scream sessions and going back and forth through the house would wake her). We had no choice but to do something. I had a couple friends who experienced something similar with one of their children (they also have a strong-willed and stubborn child), and both ladies told me the only thing that worked for them was the cry-it-out method. Both said they hate that method, but NOTHING else worked, and they tried it all. And they told me it was so worth it. I had also tried everything else. With Charlotte, there's no in-between. It's her way or the highway. Going in to comfort her without nursing her was worse than just not going in. So that's what we did. It took about 4 nights. I would feed her a bunch at night before bed (every 1 - 1.5 hrs) to make sure she got enough. Once I put her down, I didn't go back in (not even once) to get her until 6:30 or 7am (or whenever she woke up...but I wouldn't go in before that time). The first night was horrible. She was up every 20 or 30 minutes and screamed for about 45 minutes. The second night she only woke up once but screamed for two hours. And it just gradually got better. Now, about 2 weeks later, she's sleeping until about 5am. She wakes up for an early morning feed (which is perfect since my boobs are usually killing me) and goes back to sleep until 7:30 or 8. It's amazing! I feel like a million bucks now in the mornings compared to before. I forgot what sleeping in my bed alone all night felt like. Or what it felt like to get a good solid 6 hours (since we don't go to bed at the same time as her). Haven't had this good of sleep since...a long time ago. I slept horrible while pregnant and Eden was teething...probably haven't slept like this since before Eden started teething. Wow. That was almost 18 months ago.

Activity: She has two teeth now (bottom) and is working on her top two. She's standing on her own just fine. She's ridiculously close to walking. She can totally walk on her own but is too timid still. She goes nuts and gets crazy excited when she holds our fingers to walk. She will push Edens car (the kind you ride on...not a little toy push car) and walk doing that. We don't have a walker, but if we did, she'd be cruising all over the house with it, I'm sure. She's started climbing. Even more so than Eden did at this age...in order to keep up with Eden, I'm sure. She tries to climb on all the furniture. She loves using me as a jungle gym. 
She LOVES bath time and water in general. She is starting to enjoy going for walks and swinging at the park (she typically hates being strapped down or restrained in any form so the stroller was a scream fest for a while). 

Personality: I know I say it every time, but she is so fiercely independent and determined. She is so much happier now too though. And she's got her two bottom teeth, so she gives the most adorable two-toothed grins when she's excited. She just wants to be big. Like her sister. Like...yesterday. She gets upset sometimes that she's too little for certain things and can't keep up with Eden. She's pretty fearless. She cries a little less than she used to. I'm trying to ignore her cries now when she gets hurt (obviously not when she's really hurt...but a little bump here and there), and she'll usually get over faster and move on. She tends to be a bit of a wimp (opposite Eden who never cried about anything at this age unless it was a pretty good injury). And I noticed that she would stop and wait for me to look at her before crying. Same thing goes with things between her and Eden. I try to make sure Eden shares and doesn't just steal her toys all the time, but typically Charlotte only cries/whines about it if I get on Eden for it (she can tell by my tone that Eden is in trouble). Welcome to sisterhood/sibling rivalry, Charlotte. Haha. She's a ridiculous wiggle worm. She never sits still for anything (got that from her daddy). I can't even read her a book because she thrashes and throws herself all over the place. Eden LOVED reading by this age. Just so weird how opposite they are. 




Sisters playing legos...as Eden eyes Charlotte's toy...right before she steals it. Haha!

Standing girl.


Eden got a little post-nap treat...and Charlotte is actually licking the crumbs off the floor. Life of a second child, I guess. 

Swinging at the park! (Yes, I know she's in backwards. The sun was right in her face the other direction.)



fell asleep in the ergo while I grocery shopped. Can't say I hate it!

The girls and their daddy on Father's Day. And yes, that beautiful water and scenery  It's only 5 minutes from our house. I will never tire of living here. 


1 comment: